Monday, September 9, 2019

The Glass Ceiling


"A glass ceiling" represents a barrier that prohibits women from advancing toward the top of a hierarchical corporation."
Women in the workforce are faced with "the glass ceiling." Those women are prevented from receiving promotion, especially to the executive rankings withintheir corporation. Within the last twenty years, the women who are becoming more involved and pertinent in industries and organizations have rarely been in the executive ranks. Women in most corporations encompass below five percent of board of directors and corporate officer positions.

 In 2019, it is hard to believe that after Martin Luther King Jr. broke the boundaries of segregation and equality for African Americans that discrimination still exists. It seems no matter how hard women and minorities work to establish equality in America that the "Glass Ceiling" in corporate America still lingers. Every American, no matter the gender, race, or religion; should have the same opportunity to advance in their career. The laws changed and they became even more strict. Presidents are elected and new laws are put in place, but no one seems to talk about the "Glass Ceiling that still exists in corporate America. Is this phenomenon too hard to prove? Are women really treated like they are no better than men? I thought that America is a free country, then why does this phenomenon still exists if we are free in America? I will tell you from personal experience that I have faced many challengescoming from a Jewish family. I was teased all through school. A student in the 6th grade drew a swastika on my back pack. I even had a class mate tie my shoestrings so tight that I had to go to the principal’soffice to have them cut. Many of my family members are now Christians. They converted, but I refused. I am a proud Jew and I love everything about being Jewish. I love the deli's and the food. I love my Rabbi and I have a deep appreciation for my roots and where my family heritage came from. That will never change.
I would like for everyone to think about a past experience in the workplace that relates to the "Glass Ceiling." My experiences with the "Glass Ceiling" started at an early age. First, I was teased in school because I was Jewish. After high school, I was still trying to find myself and I landed my first real job as a bar tender at a popular club. I have been there for a year and asked my boss (the owner) to promote me since I wanted to be a manager. He immediately said "Hell no." I asked why not? His response was, "No one ever takes a woman seriously, how are you going to handle managing a bunch of drunks?" He was a drunk himself and thought women owed him something. To make a long story short, he posted a job opening on Craigslist I believe and hired a man to help run his club. My boss felt like I was not strong enough, tough enough, or capable of managing his club. That was one of my experiences with the "Glass Ceiling" and I would like for more people to share their experiences as well. 


Source:
Redwood, Rene A. (October 13, 1995). "Breaking The Glass Ceiling: Good for Business, Good for America". National Council of Jewish Women.
Johns, Merida L. (January 1, 2013). "Breaking the Glass Ceiling: Structural, Cultural, and Organizational Barriers Preventing Women from Achieving Senior and Executive Positions". Perspectives in Health Information Management.
 Bullough, A.; Moore, F.; Kalafatoglu, T. (2017). "Research on women in international business and management: then, now, and next". Cross Cultural & Strategic Management.
 Catherwood Library reference librarians (January 2005). "Question of the Month: Where did the term 'glass ceiling' originate?". Cornell University, ILR School. Retrieved June 30, 2013.

2 comments:

  1. Good read! Yes, depending on the occupation certain roles are more catered directly to men. Certain roles in the higher tier of a work force are given to men because men are more aggressive. Women, we tend to react with emotions and thats honestly the beauty of us and our capabilities. All these boundaries and limitation reports only add to the division of men and women. In my opinion, we more than ever are capable of starting our own businesses and scaling it. Why do we have to work for a company that doesn't believe in us? Who said that we have to work for that company? No one! So as women, stop making excuses and go out there and create opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, women and men are still somewhat divided.

      Delete